Sat, Jan 19 (9am-4pm) & Sun, Jan 20 (9am-4pm)
Wisconsin State Patrol HQ – Wausau
2805 Martin Rd, Wausau, WI 54401
Basic amateur radio Operation – Emergency Communications
Antenna Theory – Digital modes – Electronics
Contests – Worldwide communications & more!
All class materials geared towards passing FCC mandated Technician class license exam
Topics Covered in the class
Radio waves, signals
Modulation and bandwidth
Electricity, Ohm’s Law, power, metric system
Electronic components & circuits
Basic Station Equipment
Power Sources & Interference
Communicating with other hams
Call signs and operating regulations
Exam cost – $15 (cash or check) Class Cost – FREE
*Lunch from 12pm-1pm both days on your own
Class presented by the Wisconsin Valley Radio Association, exam administered by Amateur Radio Relay League (ARRL) accredited volunteer examiners in accordance with Federal Communication Commission (FCC) guidelines. Cost for exam cover expenses for filing license with FCC.
Test requirements – Photo ID (minors can use birth certificate, social security card or other government issued ID when accompanied by parent/guardian), previous CSCE (if you have taken the test and are upgrading), $15 (cash or check).
For questions, please use the Contact Form or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Register for the Technician License Class:
Frequently Asked Questions
The class will follow the ARRL curriculum for the technician class license. We recommend the ARRL Ham Radio License Guide which is available from www.arrl.org or from any major book retailer. You may also use the Gordon West series of study materials or the following online sources (free):
- www.arrl.org (please check this site out!)
- Hamstudy.org sample exams
- KB9NU No-Nonsense Study Guides
- Dave Casler technician class videos on YouTube
- Android/iPhone apps (go to your app store and search for “Ham Radio Study Apps”)
- Whatever method you choose, please take the time to go through
- it and find a ham and ask questions!
Class times will be:
- Sat 1/19 9am-4pm (noon-1pm lunch)
- Sun 1/20 9am-1pm, exam begins at 2pm
- We’ll provide the donuts!
What should you bring?
- See previous page for exam requirements
- notebook/pencil/etc for notes
- Basic calculator is allowed for exam (no phones or programmable
calculators are allowed for the exam)
I’m a Scout and I would like to get a merit badge for this!
- GOOD! We will have several individuals who can serve as merit badge counselors. This class and test are part of the requirements!
How much does ham radio cost?
- Most new hams get their first dual band handheld radio for under $50. From there the sky’s the limit. It really depends on what part of ham radio you get into. All instructors can help point you in the right direction to find equipment.
Do I need to learn Morse Code?
- No. The FCC removed the CW (Morse code) requirement about 15 years ago. You do not need to know it to get ANY class of radio license. However, with your technician class license, you get HF Frequency privileges immediately for CW operation that normally would only be available for phone operation with a General class or Amateur Extra class license. So, if you want to get on HF right away, we help you learn Morse code after you get your license!