Despite a bit of adversity, the WVRA’s Field Day adventure was a success. This year’s event, held at Kennedy Park in Weston, had quite a few notable achievements, including:
- All logging computers were networked using the hamnet-broadband mesh network
- A educational activity on mesh networking technology
- Media attention by WAOW TV 9, and WXCO 1230 am radio
- Countless visitors that strolled into the site to check things out
- VE exam Session that netted three new technicians and one new extra licensee
- Two CW operators that managed to give us more than double the number of CW contacts verses voice contacts
As for adversity, we also experienced a late night thunderstorm that produced a rogue wind gust that flipped our tent, drenching equipment and operators as they secured stations and took cover.
We the club continued undaunted, and had two stations back on the air Sunday morning for a few more hours on operation before Field Day was finished for another year.
Thank you to everyone that helped with the setup and teardown, VE exam session, operations, and guest reception. We wouldn’t have been able to do this event if it weren’t for all the help everyone provided.
Here’s a gallery of images from this year’s Field Day Event
WAOW – Newsline 9, Wausau News, Weather, Sports